Sunday 29 March 2020

Weekender 2: Longer Rays From An Old Sun

Ah the Summer we'd all rather forget is about to happen. Or maybe it will turn out good and the virus will recede or even disappear (at least enough for some semblance of normality). We simply do not know.

I fear I may be getting lax in keeping a daily blog. I try to avoid the news. It's just too depressing and too overwhelming. Inevitably the death rate will increase. In fact that isn't as alarming as it might sound (clearly it's awful, and I fully blame our Clown Car Crew flaccidly calling themselves a government). We know that recorded cases of the virus represent those in hospital; people already sick enough to run a greater than perhaps 'average' risk of dying. This skews our perception of the threat posed. So it isn't surprising that death rates will rise from among that cohort. It takes time for the virus to do it's evil work. People aren't dying the moment they contract the virus; their is a lag. They go into hospital, stay sick, and eventually pass (or recover - hopefully the latter). So it doesn't mean the virus is killing more people in the way you might imagine as it cleaves through the community, but that those already sick are finally reaching an outcome.

Furthermore, the news will not divulge comorbidities or existing health conditions. Even that young woman who was mentioned...they say she was otherwise healthy. But as far as the news is concerned what does that mean? The government considers eating what is, quite frankly, rubbish (grains, cereals, a whole host of inflammatory foods) to be a 'balanced' (i.e. healthy) diet. She could have smoked, enjoyed a drink now and again - just enough to be 'normal', but that's not a synonym for healthy.

Anyway. Let's leave that there for now; I'm not a scientist.

It's the first day of Summer. A day I normally mark, even though, these days, it's a lot colder at this time of year than childhood memories affirm. Perhaps that's how the climate has changed, or perhaps I just remember poorly and 'twas ever thus. I'd like to think otherwise: I always associate the elongation of the day, the start of summer time, with the warmth of the widening rays. It feels cleansing to do so. It feels right

I mark this time on the psychic calendar; to manage the days. More so now that we find ourselves in this difficult period; unprecedented. We can say goodbye to Winter (hopefully - I hear it's been snowing). As a reward for strength of soul through the dark months, we are blessed by Mother Sun. Ra raises us up. Atem-tion!. Hopefully it won't be long before we can say goodbye to the Corona virus.

Maybe this can be a turning point. That is it's purpose for me. The value of the aforementioned psychic calendar. A way to map out the days to pace yourself and prepare throughout the year as the seasons shift and change and the days grow long and short. Some can stumble through the days; they seem to tumble down the stairs of our lives always landing softly on the feathers of good fortune. That person is not me. This is about a spiritual map; a mandala if you will. One can navigate life on an emotional level this way. It's why, I believe, we benefit rom traditions that mark things like the harvest, the end of the year, the return of spring, etc.

I think we need them now, more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...