Friday 12 June 2020

Slouching Towards Blue Skies 5: Restless

Felt restless today. Off I went to the shops and I felt compelled to catch a bus, go to town as once, back in the cleansing mists of time. I didn't of course. What would be the point, the shops won't be open till at least Monday, except obviously the supermarket and I don't fancy queuing for ages. I also don't currently have a mask due to elastic band dysfunction. I am going to have to fashion something or use my winter scarf.

I did notice kids on the swings, despite the play are officially still being off limits, and a number of parent (I assume) having a picnic of sorts in the recreation field. Quite a lot actually. Not sure how wise that is but none of them looked like Dominic Cummings. It's all so tantalisingly normal. Meanwhile the R rate is rising here. The southwest is said to be between 0.8 and 1.1. That doesn't sound good. I don't know why that is; tourists out on the beach perhaps? The recent outbreak in Weston General Hospital. It's reassuring to know the test and trace system is being presided over by the town's MP's (John Penrose is married to Dido Harding, who also ran Talk Talk while it was not giving a shit about customers' account security). This'll work out well then.

There's no way they are testing enough. They aren't going to be testing enough. We will continue to lag behind on this; months to late. Meanwhile the arrogance of this pitiful government and its slovenly leader will simply wish for things to get better or at least not get worse. Maybe they will get lucky, although several hundred a week certainly won't. That figure I think will persist for the foreseeable; background noise. A sad muzak we will have to live with.

And the chief nurse has been removed from the daily briefing schedule for not backing the eminence grise, the aforementioned Mr Cummings. Shouldn't he be self isolating in Transylvania? This is how they will deal with this crisis moving forward. Silence dissent.

Anyway, we're all looking at economic wipe out: the economy has contracted, like a choking baby, by 20%. If only there were alternatives to this dreadful system and politicians willing to embrace it. Unfortunately we don't and that's the real tragedy. I look forward to, a year from now (if there is one), our NHS being further gutted; sold off by the crooks whose crocodile tears will be ash in our mouths. That's how they sell austerity: tell us it's for our own good, appeal to the workign class' well bred sense of self sacrifice and then enforce divide and rule. Of course this will accompany Brexit, and we are staring hard down the barrel of a no deal. If you thought toilet paper shortages were fun...

Class War

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...