Sunday 28 June 2020

Weekender 15: Test Me Fool!

Boris does a pressup.

Amid an economy in ruins, the effects of which wait impatiently behind the curtain, this oaf, this fucking mental wreckage, does a pressup for a photo op.

And you know what? I bet the readers loved it. I bet they took one look at that inspiring picture, like something Malcolm Tucker would command a scared stupid MP to do, and cried into their Vera Lynn teacups. We don't need the Queen to deliver a Christmas message this year (or indeed ever), we can just replay this bullshit.

I don't even care if it was real. In fact if he did do a set of press ups it would be even more pathetic. Test me, fool, he says! Shouting into the lens of a camera whose only existence is to make him not look weak in the eyes of a dying nation. Sixty thousand deaths and a set of push ups. Fucking hell.

Then, when out for a walk in this insane weather, I passed a house where some neighbours had gathered, at a distance, while one of them (or their kid by the looks of things) was in her porch playing sax along to some easy listening backing track. Truly these are the damnedest of times.

This weather is crazy. I don't remember a Summer so mixed up. In fact the only thing I remember about modern weather is that I don't remember when it was last like it currently is, until the next time it becomes even weirder. This is climate change. There is no other explanation for how we go from the most intense heatwave I can remember (!) at this period (it's still early Summer!) to wearing a coat in gales and squalls.

Do you want to understand how power works? Look at how the Tories defend the corrupt housing minster they've imposed upon us. You would think, having been caught reddest of all the handed, they would just kick him out. That would earn them kudos, right? No, that's not how power actually works. They close ranks, they gaslight: we're in the wrong and the matter's closed. They don't even hide their shame; it's arrogance. How dare we criticise our betters. He's just doing what they normally do. The system is operating as intended, don't worry. Go back to your Covid shelters and listen to the Archers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...