Tuesday 21 April 2020

Extra Time 2: Talk Talk, Not Not

Don't have an awful lot to say today (we'll see!), I've spent most of it trying to deal with the incomparably shit ISP known as Talk Talk.

They are shit, and in a time where internet access is more vital than ever they prove to be dismal and inadequate in the extreme.

It just goes to show how crap this system is that there is no impetus, either within the company or from beyond, that can compel them into providing anything approaching a decent service. They claim to be prioritising vulnerable customers, except that if you contact them on the phone all you hear is a recorded message saying "covid 19 blah blah blah we're busy" and then you get disconnected.

Not sure how they can be busy then if no one can get through.

Now look obviously there's a global pandemic happening (iknowrite!) and I don't want to be that guy. But if you think about it, they ought not be that busy. But of course given how crap their service is they will be. I accept they are short staffed, I'm just not entirely sure why: is it that social distancing means they have room for only half their staff in physical workplaces (I'm being serious)? Is that half their staff are all off sick? That seems unlikely. Anyway it is what it is.

So you can contact them online through their chat support service. Such as it is. Here you get connected to a user with a name that, at first, I assumed was representative of the culture they've outsourced the service to. However after four different attempts to sort the problem turned into four different agents I realised it wasn't it was just a random collision of letters. It had to be though I'm not sure why (either that or I sound massively racist).

Upshot is that in order to test your connection you need to be offline, while on an internet connection. They don't bother to tell you this at any point before you connect, but you're meant to connect via a mobile data service. That's great because all vulnerable/elderly customers have smartphone technology. I don't and neither does my mother (who is vulnerable). So they basically cannot help me. At all.

Their social media isn't any better. You can leave messages on their forum/twitter/facebook. They might reply. Or they might reply once or twice and then disappear. Who knows if they'll respond further, they haven't done so far.

Fortunately for now we can connect most of the time. But it isn't a sure thing. This is pretty crappy.

Anyway in other news, lockdown continues. Government has no clue. Apparently the virus hasn't been in the population very much due to some preliminary WHO findings here. Few people have developed antibodies so they srumise it hasn't spread as widely as some have asserted. I'm not entirely sure but it's  so far not certain.

Oh and the idiot government has missed out on the chance to procure 16 million facemasks. So business as usual then.

Class War Daily here. I will try for something more substantive tomorrow. Internets permitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...