Saturday 25 April 2020

Weekender 6: The Death of Choice

One aspect of lockdown that is frustrating is the curtailing of choice for consumers. Ideally it shouldn't matter; choice, in terms of the marketplace, is a capitalist confection. Capitalists need choice in order to compete where what we should have, with a planned economy of some kind, is the best of what's needed. Not a multiplicity of what isn't. How many different bars of choco-junk can we bear? How many varieties of monster energy drink?

Unfortunately this is the sort of situation where choice is necessary because it's the choice between paying a premium or finding a bargain; an empty shelf or a full shelf. So for example, if I shopped in town, at the Tesco supermarket, I'd have access to a greater range of produce. Items that are also cheaper as well (which I believe is because Tesco thinks Weston super Mare is a poorer place).

But I'm not bussing it into town. I'm having to shop locally, at the local Tesco Express. As most people know the Express shops are, bizarrely, slightly more expensive. Same produces, just dearer. They have never explained to me why this is and I suspect it's because of demographics. I think they perceive this to be a slightly more affluent area, which may or may not be true, and jack the price up accordingly. I have absolutely no idea how true this is, maybe not at all.

They also carry a more limited array of produce. This ultimately comes down to dietary dogma. For example, you'll see more low fat meat on sale. This is because we are mistakenly told low fat = healthy (it doesn't, but that's another discussion). So not only am I having to pay more, but I'm having my choice further limited by the dominant dietary orthodoxy.

You might think that, in the current crisis climate, they might be willing to show parity in their prices. They might throw the community a bone. But of course that's not how capitalism works. This is the take away (so to speak): Profit matters more to Tesco than whether I, or you, eat tonight. They won't be alone in that. These are also companies who, across their shops, make bold claims as to their responsibility to the community and how they, having forcibly inserted themselves, are part of it,

THat's really all there is to it. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...