Monday 6 April 2020

Home Straight? How Much Longer?

An audacious title. I am presumptuous: the initial plan was fot a 3 week lockdown. Whether that will happen is entirely in the hands of the Germ Gods. However the guy leading the government's virus modelling effort thinks we have snookered ourselves. I say "we", I mean "them": the idiots in charge who may well now, in the case of the Idiot In Chief, be on the way out. Literally! :O

So where we go from here....is anyone's guess!

It rained last night. I heard it of course, waking up a couple of times as sleep is thin in this new atmosphere. I had been checking the forecasts and none was predicted. Perhaps the world needed a cleanse. Perhaps the heavens just got angry and wanted to express themselves. I can't help looking at this in so human a fashion. It is supposed to get warmer over the next few days. We mustn't forget how broken our climate still is, even while we hide ourselves away from it and the outside world. Nothing about the world these days is normal.

I keep mentally likening this period to Christmas. Not because children receive gifts from a strange old man who lies about his mythological helpers, but because it's one time of the year you can be as lazy as you like without having to worry about consequences. Whether that's a good thing is a separate matter; at least for Christmas it's a temporary and usually non life-threatening period.

As I sit at home I find myself living a similarly sanctioned lifestyle. Though I would welcome normality (if only to affirm an end to all this misery). we cannot be sure that calling time on the lockdown will mean the virus is done. I'm sure many will make that fallacious leap. Given that, it makes the lack of exit strategy, on the part of our hapless government, all the more uncertain. If lockdown ends I foresee everyone bursting outdoors and gathering en mass like a mass exhalation. The amount of social contact might well be inadvisable. Are we therefore now committed to a slow path of socioeconomic destruction?

While I welcome an end to capitalism, there is no question a new world will have considerable birthing pains.

And now I read that our PM is in Intensive Care! I'm sure I'm not alone in finding that oddly shocking. It shouldn't be any more shocking than anyone else so afflicted. After all he isn't the first (and probably not the last), but given who he is and perhaps what he is, it is more shocking.

These are the strangest of times. Somehow I don't see lockdown ending after the planned three week period (which would be next, Easter, Monday) if he doesn't make it! Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...