Thursday 9 June 2011

Addendum

Just rang the jobcentre about tomorrow. I thought that was the best thing to do. No point messing them around, despite being booked an appointment at a time I can't attend. Can't take the chance of turning up late and being left high and dry as regards money. They've booked me a normal signing for 9-50am wherein I will book a fresh appointment with the 'special adviser'.

That's assuming I don't get dicked around tomorrow morning instead. Maybe it's my anxiety based paranoia talking but I can't help wondering if they will.

Everytime I sign on, and this is the crux of what makes the experience so exquisitely awful, is the knowledge that yet again you must prove your worth. It's like a neverending round of the X Factor - you thought you were safe last week Mr Plums, but no, you've got to bring it this week as well - and this week it's Temp Agency Week!

All the effort you made before, no matter how many jobsearch activities or applications (mainly the former tbh) you did when last you signed don't count. Your effort has reset and you must wow the judges afresh. Not only that, but by this point your pittance has reached bingo fuel and you NEED that money. So all it takes is for the adviser to look over the jobsearch record a moment too long, ask one too many questions about what 'this' activity is or who 'that' person you spoke to is, and it's stress factor 10 again! One little thing you forgot to do and all the rest of it will count for nothing and BOOM no money for you.

(Now this doesn't sound right to me, but that seems to be how they operate. I don't know if legally they are allowed to do that - but, as they say in the ghostbusting business, who are you going to call?)

Remember: don't have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...