Monday 26 September 2011

Notes on JC + Adverts

I'm sure this will be an ongoing series. It's been clear to me for a while that there is something amiss in the processes used by the DWP to advertise the vacancies they receive. Some of these, in fact most, are sourced from recruitment agencies, specifically sites online. This is evident in the formatting errors caused by directly copying the text from the screen. Copy and paste from the site's page and into Word/Notepad and you can see how disjointed the text is.
Last I signed on I was given a part time admin vacancy to apply for, even though, net, my income would be no more than a few quid above the JSA. (What's the bloody point? How does that help me?) I rang up when I got home and the relevant contact was on a week's holiday. So I have just rung again (I don't want the job at all, I'm not remotely interested in admin nor do I have experience thereof) only to find that the job isn't, as the advert says, 'experience preferred'; it's experience required. I sounded rather sheepish on the phone as i had to admit that I have no experience of this at all. I tried to explain that this is what the JC does (as opposed to being perceived as blaming the employer, which I don't).
So be warned: I believe the JC also subtly change the words, and thus conditions, the employer wants. Of course I can't prove this so I'm on shaky ground here, but why else do these adverts get it wrong? We all know of such examples I'm sure. They may think they are doing this for the right reasons, but the end result is a pissed off employer and a claimant on thin ice whose time has been wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...