Monday 25 February 2019

What is help?

Over the last week I made a complaint to Second Step whose Peer Employability Programme I had joined last October. A programme that seems to offer very little.

What is telling about this process is the response. It was almost patronising. You think something has gone wrong, we MUST listen to you, we MUST learn. Tell us all about it! Sit down, tell us, tell us! It was over the top.

My issue was that, after ignoring three emails expressing my dissatisfaction, they didn't respond to me at all, just passed them on to the person running the course. I objected to that because I felt that would be construed as a personal attack. I have no wish for her to have her confidence undermined. At the very least surely you talk to me first to understand the issues. But, as they say, whatever.

The consequence of all this is that today her line manager has emailed to discuss whether I want to continue. The problem is that I don't know what I'm continuing with. I asked her what this course was meant to offer. That was the root of my complaint: I have no idea what this Programme is there to do.

I know what they say. They give me the sales spiel; we can work with you, we can do all the usual stuff (like print out cv's), and we can boost confidence. This is a familiar pattern to me. It's the same kind of programme that all these organisations offer. It's exactly the same.

The fundamental problem is that it isn't meant to challenge the status quo while ignoring the reality that the status quo, the economic system the nature of the society within which we find ourselves, are the cause.

People don't have low self esteem because they are lazy. They have it because their society and their environment beats it out of them. The confident people that I've known have all come from strong unified healthy family and social backgrounds. You cannot 'teach' self confidence; that just amounts to fakery. A few simply 'team building' exercises, we've all seen the sort, are not a replacement for a healthy environment. That's how we, as social creatures, are meant to live. Unfortunately the world doesn't work out that way.

Of course social enterprises can't single handedly change the world and I don't expect them to, but I am not interested in buying into the "only you can change your world" mantra. That's a severely simplistic worldview. By all means engage in healthy introspection - just don't believe that your problems are always or totally your fault. That is gaslighting. It also absolves the people who have power in our society - the psychopath ruling class - of their behaviour.

What these organisations should be doing is affiliating. They should link up and present a united front on behalf of the people. That at least would be a start. But instead they affiliate with the likes of the DWp and just end up further damaging and dividing people. For this reason I remain completely unclear as to what this Peer Employability Programme offers, nor whether it's worth my time continuing. What would I be continuing with? I don't want to just toss them aside because organisations like this are the only game in town. However what connections do they have with the labour market? Can they find actual decent jobs? Do they have any real influence. What good is confidence building if it thus leads nowhere?

4 comments:

  1. "The confident people that I've known have all come from strong unified healthy family and social backgrounds."

    - Ain't that just the truth.

    No one can make a choice unless they have a chance to do so. This is a truth that Second Step are unable to acknowledge, because it means they have to examine their own unethical practices.

    Where there is no security, the state should step in to provide this. How can anyone exist or even flourish without basic need of life?

    You have them on the back foot Ghosty. They feel threatened, because you did not comply by ignoring the pointless & parasitic nature of their soul sucking compliancy machine.

    What they are trying to do is heaping fault upon you, blaming, where no blame should exist. They cannot offer you anything. You have highlighted this fact for them, they do not like it. Their only option is defend their profitable tenure by suggesting that it is you who are the 'problem'

    You are not the problem. We both know that. The system is the problem.

    Good piece Ghosty. Stay safe.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks

      Indeed, if you come from a tough or lacking environment you are at a disadvantage. Some can overcome that, and some backgrounds are harsher than others of course. But that's just how socieyty seems to work.

      Unfortuantely it's a hollow victory with these people. I have caught them in a lie but a complaint won't change their service or attitudes. They don't offer support for mental health problems, which I find thoroughly bizarre. Other health issues, yes, it seems. All I can do is try and walk away with my dignity intact, but dignity doesn't put food on the table.

      take care

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, thought I was using a new Google account?

    That comment ^^is from Lucy if you wondered..

    Exeunt Captcha is a good thing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's a nightmare that makes posting awkward, but we're here at the grace of the almighty google! :D

      Delete

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...