Sunday 3 February 2019

I Hate The Cold!

I can't get on with this time of year. There's no getting away from it. The freezing temperatures are only a part of it. There is something that sinks during winter and for three months you feel like drowning. I don't like it at all. It's like the very world is conspiring against you; the hostile cold. It is very hard to stay motivated and energetic during this period, and currently I am neither. Bring on the Spring on, says I.

Thus have I been lax in posting here.

It's been almost a month since my Work Focussed Interview. Fortunately I was able to request a telephone interview, though why that should ever be an issue is beyond me. Typically DWP bureaucracy makes requesting one a pain in the arse; you contact your 'work coach' but you can't because they don't give you the details. Instead you have to keep ringing the call centre to finally get through to someone that will give that information. Sometimes they don't. It's a system that exists to make a rod for its own back - and thus makes those operating it difficult to deal with. Bureacracy begets pointless bureacracy.

To be fair, the woman - let's call her Tracy (because the DWP did) - was actually pleasant to deal with. I can't lie. However the whole thing is such a waste of time. It isn't remotely work focussed because, as we all know, the lsat thing the DWP does to help people find work is to help people find work. They have nothing to offer, but want to check up on you, every six months (so see you again in the Summer I guess), to make sure you're doing it.

That's all fairly banal stuff and mostly obbious to anyone involved with the DWP. We all know this. However what might not be known is that the system isn't just there to check up on you, it's there to make sure you are doing 'something', even if that is to agree to speak to your GP (no matter hiow pointless). If you don't, that is, if you are seen to refuse (it would be impermissible for the GP to say whether or not you have visited them, they aren't - or weren't - allowed to divulge that to anyone), they can stop your benefit.

What this means is that ESA (and probably UC) can be disallowed on the basis that, regardless of your health, you are not 'towing the line'. You are not seen to be 'moving forward'. Insert your euphemism of choice.

This is actually a pretty big deal. I explained the situation to her and she seemed to listen. I don't get the sense she's a troublemaker, like of the tinpot generals that work for the DWP. I explained that the local area has no mental health services and that ancillary organisations such as Second Step (who now comrpise the totality of 'support' locally) are essentially useless. I joined their Peer Employability Programme in October and have had next to no interacts with them nor have the anything to offer. These schemes are cheap to run and offer nothing. It's essentially a scam where they get service users to provide a non-existent service.

I did agree to go back to my GP, in regard of my ceaseless pursuit of an aspergers diagnosis. I couldn't explain to her that just wasn't going to get anywhere. GP's have no understanding of these issues and simply deflect any concern by saying "why do you need one anyway?" as if you can just function in our system the same as people who don't have cognitive/social differences, or that you can just positively think them away. It's a deflection from the reality that there is no help and that the local mental health partnership is, frankly, bollocks. I'm trying to pursue a case for advocacy but that again is difficult since finding people who can stand up and be counted on your behalf without tugging the bureaucratic or procedural forelock is nigh impossible.

So I had to agree that I would visit my GP or furnish the DWP with grounds for depriving me of an income. Does that seem reasonable? I'm essentially being forced to speak to a GP while I know full well that it will achieve nothing. Even if another diagnosis attempt can be secured it will be months possibly longer before anything can happen, with no guarantee it won't be the same people undertaking the same crappy process as before. That process was flawed and they ignored me explaining my situation. I even provided evidence from online tests (proper tests, designed by actual professionals, not just any internet nonsense, I should add) to the GP but they just lost it and gave up interest. There's a weird thing that happens with GP's: their interest seems to vacillate. One minute they offer to help asking to look at what evidence you have and seeming to agree in a way that suggests understanding. But when you return it's the opposite; you might as well be talking to someone else.

Of course I didn't argue the toss with the DWP. I haven't the energy for their bullshit. But I don't think it's right that people can be bullied into talking with a doctor. Nothing should surprise us about their attitude anymore. I haven't been though because there is no point. They can't help.

4 comments:

  1. Ghosty, no matter how much it sticks in your craw (all our craws) that the leviathan bastard that is the DWP system can coerce you into seeing a GP, please do it. Please try and do it. Life without income is beyond any description of hell.

    If you are able, (I know this depends, not least, on the joke of availability) try see a new GP every time, sometimes the younger ones are less jaded, sometimes they are a bit uppity and full of the tick box, behavioural bullshit, but I found that they often still have some enthusiasm to actually help. Or tick the box or write what you tell them down, so it can be used as 'evidence to flap in front of the work roach.

    Second Step is hoaching with the left over careerist staff & 'keener' volunteers of that other (now defunct) local band of parasites that we have discussed before. I doubt there has been a culture change.


    For what it's worth, thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I appreciate that.

      I am in the process of seeking advocacy to try and get the asperger diagnosis sorted once and for all.

      The problem with seeing a GP though is that there is nothing they can do. They can't facilitate a diagnosis. In fact they can't do much of anything in these situations except peddle the usual "work is the great healer" nonsense while telling me it doesn't matter if I don't have a diagnosis.

      Second Step, frankly, are a joke. I've complained twice about their Peer Emplyability Programme. The person that actually runs it isn't the issue, it's them themselves. They haven't responded at all. The service in weston is an utter joke. Unless you want to sit in a musty old church hall and talk about football. It's just institutionalising people.

      Thanks for responding, I know this capcha thing is a pain. Feel free to email me instead, I think you have my email. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I don't seem to be able to switch it off, even though it's showing up in the settings (under Word Verification) as 'off'. I've even set it so anyone can post and there's no moderation. I've asked google for some help, but I don't know what else I can do. Googling the answer just tells me to do the same thing: switch off the word verification. This is very frustrating if it's stopping people from commenting.

      There's probably some klegal bullshit that means they can't. I will keep trying, thanks for responding.

      Delete
  2. PLEASE could you lose the damn Captcha? Just took about 30 screens to get one comment published. As it will to get this one published ….argh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had. It may be something that's out of my control. I don't understand why it's doing this. I switched it off. I will try again.

      Delete

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...