Wednesday 21 October 2020

Too Little Too Late 3: Or Just Too Late?

This

Is pretty depressing. There's no getting away from it. Your first reaction may be to think it hyerbole. Maybe it is. I can see that the language used may be intended to provoke a reaction from our moribund government who only seem to act when it aligns with their interests or their mates' profits.

The gist seems to be that we now cannot avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. This will lead to more deaths, perhaps not just from Covid.

Sobering.

I'm not sure what else to say at this point. I have done my best to keep as level a head as possible. I've tried to acclimatise to the deliberate mismanagement - and it is deliberate - of this crisis. For example: the awarding of contracts to the worst candidates possible, mates of Tories and their creepy allies, the rewarding of bad behaviour - Cummings not getting the boot was deliberate and therefore it was rewarding his total malfeasance. This government hasn't just taken its hands off the wheel, it threw petrol all over the road and tossed a match. 

Sooner or later there will be a reckoning. If it's sooner it will be to the tune of, possible - though hopefully not - thousands of dead. What terrifies me is that I avoided it the first time around, now it feels like I'm being forced into a second round of Russian Roulette and I'm having to pull the trigger again. Are the odds in my favour? Yesterday saw an almost 100% increase in local infections. Nationally we have almost 27.000 new infections. I said that the rate would increase. I'm not a scientist, but it seems as obvious as it appears to be inevitable. In response it's crickets from our government. They seem only interested in a spat with working class people up north, revealing once again that the only tools they have are the weapons of class war.

Monbiot in the Guardian (also) has a scathing analysis, excoriating the Serco test and trace contract debacle. I didn't know Penrose was the anti corruption champ or tsar (or whatever) for the government. He clearly need look no further than his own backyard. He won't, of course. 

It's clear that this mixed approach, obviously intended to bend the knee to capital, cannot continue. At this point I'm questioning whether we can keep schools and universities open. Are they banking on the fact younger people are less likely (or so the wisdom goes) to die? A smaller death count than with their similar approach to care homes?

At this point I think it clear the working class are going to have to take charge of the situation, somehow, if we are going to survive this. Anything else and the Tories will send us to the bloody dogs! We can't afford to let them kill us by virtue of ignoring the mounting annual crises in the NHS. Remember during the election the stories of kids sleeping on chairs in waiting rooms for the want of a gurney, or a doctor? The same people are in charge, steering us toward the next disaster, Brexit.

Winter is coming, it will be dark and cold. Do not go gently into that covid night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...