Monday 2 April 2012

Programmed - And We're Already Having Problems

I have just had my 'courtesy call' from Employment Plus (that is to say Salvation Army Employment Plus, only they left out the first two words, curiously). Ok, I knew this was coming. So I'm aware that I have my appointment tomorrow morning, in fact I can't stop thinking about it. Such is the joy the WP instills in me.

I ask if they refund bus fares. I'm assured they do, on presentation of a proper bus ticket. Ok, that's fair enough.

I ask about how trained they are in mental health. Well....they don't know I have any such issues. So that's something they get to discover during the assessment process, so I don't get an actual answer as to whether this person, a youngish sounding gentleman that doesn't proffer a name, has any experience in dealing with such issues/people/problems I might have.

But it gets better, it turns out that I've been double booked. So not only did Jobfit not pass on my the issues that I told the JC to let them know about when they referred me, but that when I asked Jobfit if the appointments were one to one they meant, no instead of yes. I asked this specifically. But instead they've booked me at the same time as someone else. So that would be two people having to discuss personal issues of whatever depth seriousness or nature with the adviser in stereo with no regard for privacy or discretion. How on earth did Jobfit, or even Salvation Army Employment Plus, think that was going to work?

I specifically asked Jobfit to clarify this: I rang them straight back to confirm this after the appointment was booked.

Of course this adviser isn't much help. Either I have to turn up tomorrow and unless this can be mitigated (I'm hanging on the telephone - he's decided to contact Jobfit to clear this up as we speak) be seen with a complete stranger simultaneously while discussing such personal issues as mental health (it's a little different than here as well, since this is anonymous and thus discreet - and I don't have to give out my address, NiNo, and phone number, etc), or I have to rebook the appointment. I can't cope with that. I agreed an appointment and that's what I have to work with. It might be different if it was somewhere more local, but it's not. Never mind pissing around with bus times.

They just assume you're ok with this. Which implies that whatever issues you might have (that of course they aren't told about prior, so as to perhaps prepare for whatever needs a customer might have) mean nothing. That's the problem. It's a complete mess before we've even started, and I don't even know when this guy will phone back or what he will do - assuming he doesn't presume a course of action all on his own (again implying that my issues mean nothing). I'm on tenterhooks as it is. I don't need this, but why am I surprised if the prime doesn't even communicate properly with it's subcontractor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...