Sunday 10 January 2021

The Long Road 6: By The Autumn (+1:58)

There really isn't much to talk about that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum by now. Crying Matt, in his odd tiny little office, has proclaimed a vaccine will be on offer to everyone (over 18) by Autumn. That then means waiting another three months for the full dose (assuming nothing else changes about their plan). In other words, next winter will also have restrictions and possibly even a lockdown. People need to be aware that nothing is really going to change even when a vaccine comes in. Their plan isn't to immunise people and thus generate the hallowed herd immunity. It's to keep people out of hospitals. So, unless I've misunderstood (entirely possible), that means those vaccinated (like my mother) can still catch and thus spread Covid.

Hopefully the situation is better than that, but, given where we are, it's what we're stuck with. Thanks to our crap government, and clowns like Crying Matt.

Apparently two women drove five miles with two cups of coffee for a walk and got fined £200 each. This isn't on the exams, but what is the point? What does this solve? Clearly the threat didn't deter them nor will it deter many others, and at that point they would have affected anyone if they were a danger. It all seems pointless and disproportionate. I'm not condoning people being reckless, but this is human reality meeting with the blunt trauma of the state. No one wins. Maybe they can afford the fine, in which case so what? Or they can't, in which case they are now impoverished. Either way the damage is done. The greater danger is probably from the cops presenting more targets for infection, if either were carrying. Hopefully they at least had the sense to steer clear of others and go somewhere isolated. There's plenty of places like that, I live in such and could well face a fine myself. The rules are of course unclear.

They travelled five miles, which could easily be matched by any serious jogger on a morning run. It's more than I was planning to travel to Tesco to to do my shopping. The cops in my case would argue that I could shop nearer to home, which is true, except that the shops here have less and charge more than the supermarket in town. They are more than welcome to do my shopping for me. Those two cups of coffee were regarded, in legal terms, as a picnic, and thus against the rules.

It's all a bit pathetic, but this is what we've been reduced to. I don't think this helps anyone. But this is all capitalism has to offer. Meanwhile thousands will be compelled to work throughout this lockdown when there is no good reason. Lives put at risk for profit, pandemic worsened. We have to do better, and we can. Democratic control of those work places would solve this. Putting the economy int he hands of you and I. Let us make it happen


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...