Wednesday 5 August 2020

Eat In, Tories Out 3: Are the Kids Alright?

Just went for a walk. Someone in the park, near by the swings, had dumped and proceeded to smash, the headstock of a bed frame. I have no idea why, nor why you would decide to bring such a thing to a park. I've no idea how long it's been there. Could have been dumped there today, or days earlier. I have no idea at all but I'm sensing it's the local youth.

I'm sensing a lot of misspent energy, or at least energy in need of direction, from the kids around here. I could be way off beam. When the days have been hot they have congregated at the local weir, jumping in the river off the bridge. Technically illegal, or so the signs say. I guess it's harmless enough and who can blame people for wanting a dip on a hot day during lockdown. Not sure how they'd feel about it if they learned what Lyme Disease was, but that's not my problem!

They don't seem to be cooling down though. I guess you're immortal when you're a kid. Immune to weather, foul water, and dangerous air. The younger kids, when they recovered their wits from the fear around them, probably thought this all a grand adventure. At least when they were allowed some contact with friends. I hope so, I've no wish to see them anxious. 

As I've said many times, something changed in the middle of summer. They broke the lockdown. It was organised at first; purposeful. Meaningful. That changed, I think we all know when and how. What we have at the moment is a backdrop of virus and a lot of confused people. Others are just tense, angry, even, at the mess. We all sense something isn't right (how could you not?) and we're having to deal with it independently. There is no guidance from government. How can rich millionaires, those who ignore their own rules, possibly understand? 

We have to get the schools open. That is a necessity. Not least of all because we don't want kids, especially those from the poorest communities, suffering. Unfortunately this reality is going to have to coexist with the equal reality that conditions in Britain, thanks to a mismanaged pandemic, may not allow this to happen. What a terrible choice we are left with: ruined education and tearaway kids, or virus percolating in schools and dead kids/teachers. Hopefully we won't end up like they have in Israel where, against a backdrop of flattened infection curve, they opened their schools and everything went to shit again. Perhaps there are specifics that explain why that happened to them, but given the lack of testing and tracing and the stubborn irresponsibility of government, I'm sure we'll do our best to emulate them.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...