Thursday 26 March 2020

Lockdown Tales: The Dawn Poor Us

Off I go for a morning walk. Still cold. Actually not something I really would want to continue otherwise, but it seems a decent time to stretch the legs when few people will be around. I'm lucky that I have the capacity and space to do this so I'd be a fool not to take advantage. I feel for foilk stuck in the urban sprawl who would find getting some fresh air tough.

Unfortunately it is also proving to be the only time to get food. Like the post apocalypse scenario: dawn rises and the scavs rise from the gutter and the sewerscapes to forage for junk parts and old tins of something called S P A M.

The shop situation is crazy: it's at once busy, which is good for business, but at the same time the buying frenzy is like a plague of contactless payment locusts. There's nothing left but the beep. It will - must - stabilise. What else can be said.

Getting what I need isn't impossible, but the effort required rather negates the notion of 'infrequent' the OverGov declares we must undertake. The situation is exacerbated by the limited choice of shopping venue mandated by the crisis. Normally I'd bus into town and get what I need. Not no more. When it comes to whereabouts you are quarantined it's very much a case of swings and roundabouts.

I don't really see how this situation can continue, in all honesty. They said three weeks. I suspect (without a shred of evidence) that Boris will relent in some fashion thereafter. But that may not be wise, and it may not even happen. Or it may get worse. Though I don't see any value in curfews for example, even considering how far down the poison rabbit hole we've come.

I'm still uncertain about what I presented yesterday. The Oxford study claim that Corona has already inftected much of the population is interesting, perversely even hopeful, but unsubstantiated. It is being refuted by many as being premature and lacking evidence. Hopefully that evidence can be provided. I'm beginning to believe we must return to normalcy as soon as possible. I don't know which is worse: capitalism or COVID. Both are shit, let's just agree with that. Both are also incompatible. Capitalism won't cure it.

I regularly sit outside at around 3pm (come and wave from a socially distanced point beyond my garden fence). The weather remains most clement. The book I'm enjoying, in the Corona Book Club, is Malice, John Gwynne's fantasy novel (because that's how I roll). There are a lot of characters to keep track of, but the writing is none too taxing. It seems like a pretty standard, fun, fantasy romp set in a society reminiscent of ancient Britain.

That is where I shall leave it today. Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...