Friday 20 March 2020

Weekender: Foraging in the Time of Gift Cards

And so week one of this haphazardly hosted hazard festival draws to a close. As the days grow longer, the sun sets on a greater situation than the sunrise faced. This is now the pace of our lives, I guess. Hinter gatherers foraging a mid a so-called civilisation. Mammoth hunters with credit cards; foragers with iPhones dodging the thorny proteins in a field of sky and asphalt. A primal life set to last...weeks? Probably months, realistically.

I remember when the word month wasn't a tiny stepping stone across a yawning chasm. We're in the viral waiting room; we hope our number isn't up before the vaccine calls our name. Better get used to reading those gossip magazines they keep on the table.

The food situation seems (and hopefully isn't) as fraught as it was a week ago. The local coop is doing its best, commendably. They seem to have stock, but they remain busy - which, given the nature of the crisis, seems inherently problematic.

I have been checking out online suppliers, usually the sort of place that I'd dismiss because it's too expensive. Unfortunately they too are oversubscribed. Everyone wants their shopping it seems all the time simultaneously. This isn't rational, but then what is?

As I said previously: the situation will have to stabilise because there isn't an alternative.

By the way does anyone else find it really weird how they keep saying kids are OK, but they are just carriers. Either that's meant to reassure people their kids aren't about to die, or we're living in a seventies sci fi cult tv plot. Logan's running!

I've largely shutdown Twitter. It's too much overload. It feels like being an antenna during a lightning storm. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss, and lord knows I need that now. Just bathe me in it, like a guru when the cheque clears. Facebook is more manageable (even though it's shit in it's own way :D). I can't handle the news. I end up checking the numbers. Always the numbers..."rising the tide, imperial". Metric my life away. Numbers. Always the numbers - always constant it's that they go up before they go down. A measurement of the inevitable.

I tried setting up Netflix today. It's come to that! I shall steal the virus and turn it into a permanent TV signal static. Couldn't manage it though: 57 channels any my debit card's wrong. It wasn't viable for some reason. I tried ringing the bank. Unsurprisingly the call centres are rammed. People need to live and I want Netflix. Ridiculous, I could weep at how trivial it is. But all it takes are the little things; like tiny shards of a dropped plate. You see yourself in the accident and it reminds you of your own fragility.

It's the weekend. Will we notice? I shall continue to write down my thoughts. I hope for those reading they offer as much as I get from writing it. That's all there is now. However I would like to invite comments: feedback from anyone interested in setting up a more interactive approach. I don't know what, or how, but that idea of a radio channel I wrote about days ago seems like the sort of thing that could help. A little sense of community. Or a bit of fun. Maybe you have some thoughts. Let me know.

Finally, a comrade linked me this. An interesting, damning, and obvious, read. It's getting heavy. Let us take care of each other, and ourselves. Until tomorrow, gentle reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...