Monday 23 March 2020

Virus Diaries: The Nice Day That No One Wanted

It's starting to get nice.

The weather that is. Everything else threatens to remain the same unfolding overwhelming horror that we've enjoyed so far this year. I'm not sure I can go on talking like that. It's probably not healthy. But it is cathartic.

Morning stares me in the face earlier and earlier, until the clocks go forward next week. Normally a cause for celebration. Spring has arrived. Enjoy the day. Carpe diem and all that. Only now it just blazes through my window like an unwelcome fire, licking at my door.

The days are getting longer when I'm not sure I want that right now. One of the saving graces of the shorter days of winter is that when the sunsets you can draw the curtain on a bad day, or a gloomy day. Not so in the summer. The day stands tall and long in all its morning glory. Of course the days are all the same length, but I think I want to be fooled: the shorter the day, the quicker this crisis ends.

I notice the vibe is one of "in the coming weeks". Everything is going to exponentially harder, tougher, worse, deadlier. Not now. Not the present levels of panic buying or the symptoms everywhere of society shutting down (except all the people not social distancing of course). No, this is a dry run for the final expression of this eschatonic epidemic. Will I be able to finally leave the house? They say we'll be like Italy in the coming weeks.

So, that's great then. Strapped in to a roller coaster ride slowly cresting before the inevitable stomach ripping drop. What lies at the trough? It's already tough out there. I just went to the Tesco for my mother. That experience has changed beyond all recognition. My senses are haunted: shopping now stinks of disinfectant. I'm afraid it will taint the taste of food. This is cognitive warfare! Now there's a proximity alarm when people leave so you can give them distance before entering behind them. The tills have a distance barrier warning people to keep theirs before being served. There was some stock, but it's still painfully obvious people are stocking up. When will it end? This is shopping in the fallout zone. Supermarket Geiger Sweep.

The kids are back. They are playing football again. Why wouldn't they? The weather is lovely this afternoon. Should someone tell them to be careful? Do they even care? Am I/I am overreacting? I don't know what to think or how to process this situation. I'm going to have to learn because this isn't going to change anytime soon.

Don't mind me. I'm just here in the corner, overreacting. Or am I? As the balding ozone layer peels away I'll have the last laugh, from within my virus bunker. The Van Allen belt will collapse and the solar radiation will pour in like an angry tide. If only you damn kids had listened to the crazy old man with the thoughts in his head. If only...

Today's thought for the day comes from some fella who went up in a rocket ship onetime. Someone posted a link to this on FB, I think it good to repeat it here.


Take care folks, thanks for reading. Tomorrow we do it all again!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...