Friday 27 March 2020

Weekender 2: Self Isolated Boogaloo

Seems like only a week ago I did my first diary entry called Weekender. How time flies :D

The weather is noticably cooler today. It's set to get a bit colder still over the weekend, and hopefully not much beyond. All normal of course, about the only thing that is right now. I bought some Bok Choy and some garlic this morning. Our local shop is not cheap, but it is local and a shop. I've spent a small fortune on food these last few days, but it should see me through the next fortnight. Who knows where this situation will be then. Hopefully Batman will have created a vaccine to save us from the Joker's plague. Maybe not.

Sometimes I feel it getting to me. I hope I can endure. I ask myself what else I would be doing in normal times. Probably nothing majorly more productive. I can't lie though I do want normality. Activists are saying things cannot return to normal. That may be true, I guess it depends on the power of the media to persuade everyone how wonderful the Tories and capitalism is. Even so it would be nice not to have to worry about death by shaking hands. Or worry that the food chain is going to collapse. Or that some damn fool politician with a lightbulb up his arse is going to introduce rationing and compulsory singing of the national anthem. I think some believe this to be a crisis that's part Blitz spirit and part holiday camp. Die die hi! I've long suspected Blitz spirit to be an urban myth - no one really enjoyed living under the terror of Nazi bombs. They just wheel that trope out in tough times to reinforce nationalist tendencies. These are nowt more than a precursor to fascism.

Truly though we cannot return to normal. There must be an impetus toward positive change, once the bacteria bombs have stopped dropping. The Tories must not be allowed to pretend everything's fine. The economy will be evidence of that with all signs pointing to a situation beyond a recession. There could even be worldwide depression; I have no idea what that looks like. Would it eclipse the 1920's?

The truth of austerity has been laid bare, as if more evidence were needed. But we're still (as far as I know) headed for Brexit. I've no idea if that madness has been cancelled. Doubtless Boris the clown doesn't want that, but he may have no choice. But again who can say where we'll be at the end of the year when the transition period expires. Back to panic buying bog roll I suppose. Maybe that's the future. Maybe all those future books I read as a kid were really just coded warnings about a future without toilet paper. Various designs for robot bidets and nanotech arsewipes.

Finally, it isn't without some schadenfreude that I note Matt Hancock, the Tory health secretary (as if you didn't know) has reportedly contracted COVID19 (why caps, why?). So how did that happen? How many hospitals has he wandered around infecting? He could be the most dangerous man in the country right now! Nature seems to be doing the job of the working class right now in bringing these bloody Tories down.

Don't worry they can't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...