Saturday 28 March 2020

Weekender 2: We May Be Here A While

The weather's changed: gotten colder and windier. Hopefully this won't last for too long. I could say the same thing about the wider situation. Unfortunately I'm starting to really feel that isn't going to be the case.

The likelihood of there being a vaccine any time soon is slim. It took a long time for SARS to get one. Perhaps they can build on that, I hope so. What is needed now is a concerted, and sadly unprecedented, global effort. Capitalism won't like that. No profit in it.

So here we are.

There's a possibility that the summer heat (and perhaps early summer heat - global warming we need you!) could force the virus into recession (much like the economy). But can our country survive like this until then. That's three months away, and even then it only really ramps up around July/August. I cannot see this situation sustaining until then.

If it does then it will move into the global south where, next winter, there is every chance of it returning here. I have no faith in our leaders' taking advantage of a period of calm to do anything practical or preparatory. So what happens then; shut down again? How can a country survive like that? Coming out of economic hibernation every summer before shutting down the rest of the year. The answer is they cannot.

If there is a period of respite - and hopefully something better - then that must be exploited. We must push hard for new leaders and new leadership if that's what it takes. But our economy will be battered. They will try and inflict further austerity, of that you can be sure. If the answer to the crisis of 2007/8 was austerity then what now if not the same? I don't even want to think about how much more can be cut.

We may be fighting for our lives in more ways than one.

Our leaders have failed us in the worst possible way - and don't forget (as if you could) that in December Brexit time's up and we are set to crash out. You might hope that won't happen all thigs considered, but we cannot count on the Tories to really care about that. Especially under Coris the (coughing) Clown.

We could well see the onset of genuine societal collapse.

I want a better world. But at the same time I am currently so out of my comfort zone. This situation is continually scary. There is no pressure valve here. I have to find things to do, which, fortunately so far, hasn't been too difficult, but there is no break from this. The longer it goes, the harder it will be. When the weather turns, even going for a walk (which I could do more as I'm lucky to have the space nearby - and no police drones) is difficult. You might think, then, that staying at home is all the more appealing. But when there are no restrictions on going out it isn't a problem to choose not to, paradoxically.

This is difficult. I imagine there are plenty of people struggling right now. They are going to struggle more in the coming weeks, if not days. Finding things to do isn't impossible, I have tings to do, it's knowing that you have to that causes the frustration.

That is all I have to say for now. I wanted these posts to be more upbeat, or at least quirky. But right now, I think I need to vent. That's likely to happen more and more I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...