Wednesday 10 February 2021

The Road To Spring 10: Keep Your Back Straight While Lifting

There is no doubt I am losing it. Aren't we all? No? Just me then. Well, probably not.

I'm not about to don a straitjacket, but I'd be lying if I said this situation hasn't affected me. I'm less resilient, never was to begin with. I frustrate easier now, and things are more of a chore than they have any right to be. I think the fundamental problem is this period, winter. Enduring it through the medium of lockdown has narrowed the opportunities available for coping or even preparing for it. Now we just have to live with it, bruised and battered to one degree or another. 

Unfortunately, when we coume out of, not just this lockdown but the pandemic in general, there won't be an investment in support. I sincerely doubt the Tories will invest in a renewed mental health system. Certainly they could have been doing that already, but instead they piss it all away on Brexit and crony contracts. All of which have proven disastrous. They could even have invested in providing greater degrees of youth support, although the kids around here seem to be out playing as normal. Though it would be gross and naive to assume none of them have suffered. I can only hope not, but when I see signs of what could be vandalism, broken fencing, for example, or an uprooted church message board, I wonder. I have no idea, could just be the wind. I sincerely hope it's not frustrated kids. 

One of the most depressing aspects, interacting in the socially distanced world, is when people jump out of the way when you walk past. Or just conspicuously give you a wide berth. If I'm in a shop, browsing the aisle, there could be someone who, ordinarily, would just walk past, but now they (not always) stand there. It's unsettling, I can't lie. Just walk past me, I think. I may end up saying it. Just like I may end up saying something to the idiots who, still,  don't wear masks. That wouldn't be a good idea, it's liable to gift me a smack in the gob. No one wants that. Least of all me. But that's the tension I now feel. Just walk past me. Is that the right attitude? 

I'm not against social distancing, certainly not against wearing masks, but the abnormality of it all is tiring. That's the problem right now. It's all just exhausting. It's not helped by the presence of our shambolic government, one that, despite everything, sseems perenially popular. There just isn't opposition. Every day I observe them: reading the headlines to see what fresh hell awaits us. This isn't healthy, and it is also tiring. Life right now is exhausting. I simply can't wait for the weather to ease, and for spring to arrive. I'm like a crackhead for the season. I need my fix of mild, pleasant, warm weather. Where I can go out without having to dress up like an astronaut preoparing a spacewalk. Hopefully then I will feel better, we all will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...