Friday 12 February 2021

The Road To Spring 12: A Difference of A Few Degrees

Could it be? The weather getting marginally less cold? Seemed so, as I went walking in a two shirts, a hoodie, a hat, a hooded winter coat, a scarf, assorted underwear and two pairs of trews. You think it might be tough to tell, so attired. But I feel the cold even under all that. Never have I felt quite so cold as I have this week. To be sure it's been this cold before, probably quite a lot, but my resilience has tumbled since the start of the pandemic. 

The autistic spectrum service has gotten back in touch, asking if I would still like an appointment. I don't think much of their service and I doubt I'm ever going to get a fair hearing from them. They will stick with their inappropriate testing system. However they are not to blame for the effect the pandemic is having on provision. Consequently I think I would rather wait until a proper appointment is available. I don't think remote viewing is going to be satisfactory. Better to wait than be diagnosed poorly I think. 

When, if not during a crisis, is it not a good time for another top down reform of the NHS? Apparently the new top down reforms are going to undo (some of) what came before, following the Tories' winning in 2010. We all know what this really means: further privatisation. They are going to shrug their shoulders and say that, because of the effect of the pandemic, that it can't be avoided. That, in order to survive, the NHS must undergo this change. No one will care enough to stop this until it's too late, or even then. Here we go again; our health is just a political football. A product they can offer up in the grubby marketplace of capitalism. This of course will be tragically exacerbated by staff resining after their harrowing experiences on the frontline this past season. I can't blame people for that, but it should never have come to that.

In other news, Priti Patel is still a thoroughly unpleasant far right loon. A hateful authoritarian dripping contempt from every corrupt pore. Of course she hates protest. Why can't people just go along with whatever unpleasant shit the Tories come up with? How dare they question their betters? She has a massive inferiority complex it seems to me. To be clear, she defends, as the status quo, the right of racist memorabilia to stand. This itself is racist. There is no neutral space: if you think that statues of racists should remain intact you are defending racism. She either refuses to or cannot see this. I don't know which is worse.

Lots of people, ignoring government advice, have "rushed" to book their summer holidays. Of course the tour operators were all too happy to take their money. Someone somewhere will be getting disappointed later i the year, while someone somewhere else will be making a lot of money out of them, and keeping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...