Sunday 7 February 2021

The Road To Spring 7: Storm For a New Week

Winter has its revenge. Curse me for seeking warm weather and a respite from this horrible period. That is to say, it's bloody cold! I wouldn't like to admit it, but I enjoy complaining about the weather. Certainly more than I enjoy the weather itself, which, right now, has taken a turn for the worse. Another storm. It's to be expect, indeed was predicted. But I can't cope with it. I see people out running, even wearing shorts, and I wince. Not for me this time.

Speaking of toxic masculinity, for what else compels people to dress so inappropriately (it's never the ladies, only the blokes), there are some people still not wearing masks. The one local shop that gets the most passing trade (and nothing else) always has people like this in attendance. What can they do? Risk a smack in the mouth? It's a terrible situation but there appears nothing that can be done, confrontation is not for the risk averse. So I fulminate behind mine.

But Spring will come. All that can be done now is to hold on. We must take heart, for what it's worth, that we have survived this. Many have not. Others are struggling with a heavy toll in blood sweat and tears. It's not the government, though they will take credit, that has achieved this. It's us, and I bet they are deathly afraid of that. We hold the power, and hopefully now people can see this. It is in spite of the Tories that we have gotten the peak down so considerably over the last four nearly five weeks. Hopefully, hopefully, it won't be much longer. Of course the greatest concern is the Tories wanting to fling everything back open before it's ready. This would inevitably lead to a fresh surge, and, dismally, a fresh lockdown. I for one can't go through this again. I hope to Hades we don't see another winter like this.

Not Like this!

As spring draws, slowly, closer I find myself pining for last spring. A strange thing to say and I certainly don't mean pining for a time of crisis and death, though compared to now it was a much less horrible time. Which is the point. The weather was nice, life was a little less oppressive and we hadn't been through two and a half lockdowns and beaten senseless by governmental malevolence. 

Now, after ten months of keeping up with the daily figures, the deaths are just numbers now. Fortunately, for me at least, none of them are a personal loss. Unfortunately, for those directly affected, that is not so. Every single one of those, every digit, is a life cut short. A family devastated, not just emotionally but economically. It's the government that refuses to understand and thinks a trite glib apology will suffice. Imagine; how insulting is that? Boris thinks he can just buy us off with the favour of the ruling class. They've learned nothing and it will be the rest of us, the working class as ever, left to count the cost. 

We must not let them get away with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...