Friday 8 May 2020

Virus In Europe Days 5: Save Us Vera!

Is it lockdown, is it unlocking?

What a mess this all is. A uniquely Tory mess. Meanwhile they call out the working class for being lazy - again. When will people realise: that's what they think of us. We are chattel. Never has this been more apparent.

The sun continues to shine (for now) but what is normal anymore? Everything is different, but also the same. We do the same things - shop, talk, walk, sleep, jog (so very many joggers!) and yet we are different for it. As if we're dressed differently. A disquieting invisible attire that is uncomfortable.

I wonder if I have become strangely used to this. Stockholm Syndrome, or Stay at holm Syndrome, perhaps. With the prospect of the doors being slightly opened I scurry away from the notion of light. It burns, it burns, precious! I don't do change very well. So when the change happened I was uncomfortable; I started reading tweets by cranks like Peter Hitchems. What if their reading of the situation, despite being rooted in confirmation bias, was correct? Alas no. We can all point to some outlier doctor that thinks Corona is no big deal and that lockdown is unnecessary, but that proves nothing sans evidence.

These people have none.

So I got used to it, over these past 7 weeks. It feels like it has never been any different now. Panic buying - more or less - seems under control (touching ALL THE WOOD). I can go and buy what I need, even though it's markedly more expensive. The stuff I can't get (socks or a haircut) aren't pressing issues...for now. So here I am, comfortably numb or comfortably dumb. It's cold outside, keep the door shut!

As I type this, I hear fireworks going off. In a lockdown. Crank out the Vera Lynn you plebs. It's like a prayer; a votive offering to the gods of patriotism. Save us, yoru bestest country, from the horrible things you sent us!

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when...!"

Who knew she had prophesied the state of Brexit. Hardly surprising, she's become inducted into that canon; the pantheon of British exceptionalism. Invoked with a flag and a singsong. Get the bunting out; order it from Amazon. Socially distance the little triangles. I saw some that had clearly been professionally made for this event, with the number 75 printed. How did they get that? Who's job is it to drive around delivering that? Poor fucker.

Someone else had a "Help for Heroes" shirt on. Remember them? The armed forces charity that whitewashes imperialist warmongering and its exploitation of the poor and the young (often both are the same) by calling those sent by the king's coin to kill others. Nope, that's the government's job. Don't use a natural sense of humanitarianism to disguise the reality and give the state a pass.

Always remember you have more in common with the people you're bombing than the people ordering you to drop the bombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...