Tuesday 17 November 2020

Idiots On Parade 2: We Are No Longer United, Jack.

This lockdown is the worst of all possible worlds. It's happening at the worst time of year and has none of the novelty or even camaraderie of Lockdown 1, as well as, dare I say, the novelty. On top of that it isn't secure either. Plenty of things are open, just none of the things that I'm interested in other than the essentials. 

The local charity shop had to close again, along with the community cafe (unable to do takeout I guess). Meanwhile the estate agents, both of them (because one isn't enough I guess), are open. Perhaps they have particular arrangements or dispensation, but it makes no sense to me. The chip shop is open, serving people at the door. The other cafe is open but again no indoor seating, though it makes little difference as it's still full of customers. The other other cafe, properly a restaurant, is sort of open. It makes me sad: I don't know the owners, and they've only just opened which is why I feel so. They seem to be trying their best, but they aren't suited to it. I have no idea if they are OK, it would be sad to see their dream get Corona crushed.

I am curious, they operate in the morning selling, presumably, take out breakfasty stuff. I can't help thinking they'd be better off not spending the money running the business which, as far as I can see, can't be serving many people. Instead just take government furlough money. But I don't know how the scheme works, whether it's one or the other. I can't worry about other people's businesses, but to have your business start fresh at this time...that's just shitty luck. Not that capitalism cares. Dishy Rishy don't care; he'll be fine in his mansion with his millions.

We're almost two weeks into this Lockdown and I'm already tired. I expect you are too. It's just such a mess. I don't see much evidence things have improved. I hope I'm wrong, but the infection rates appear to be the same, around 20,000 a day, I don't hold out much for things improving when our four weeks are up - the government will have to continue the lockdown. Bad news for those believing they can hug their granny for Christmas, as the Daily Fail is recklessly promising off the back of a vaccine that has yet to be made. There's no chance I can see it happening in time for Xmas hugs.

I could be wrong, and if I am I'm certainly not going to complain!

I think it's clear at this point our government has completely lost the plot. Utterly unravelling and now pinning it's hopes on a vaccine saviour. If they get lucky, we all win, but the damage has been done. A year of disastrous mismanagement combined with utterly radiant transparent corruption. They don't care. Sadly their supporters don't care either; the ideology trumps everything. Children starving, thousands dead, but all that matters is you vote true blue Tory. It's tribal at this point.

I think we are witnessing a fundamental shift in society. Perhaps it began earlier, perhaps it began with Brexit. I don't think there's any turning back from this, not now. I wouldn't say we're headed for civil war, but god knows. Last year who would have said we're headed for pandemic! A culture war perhaps; something that will fundamentally shift the very landscape of the country. Maybe even the collapse of the union. We are no longer united, jack. It will take decades to play out, perhaps transcending my lifetime. I will be but a stone amid passing currents in a river of change. Perhaps a reed, if I'm lucky. Bendy with it. However climate change, like Brexit, will exacerbate things. 

What a time to be alive

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...