Friday 20 November 2020

Idiots On Parade 5: Half Time, Keep The Oranges

So we're two weeks into this current lockdown and today the weather has been miserable. Which you would think would make the lockdown better in that if we weren't locked down we'd still be sat in doors because it's pouring down. I sincerely hope this pattern of weather changes soon and for a good long while because it's bloody depressing not even being able to enjoy a walk.

This experience is full of incongruities and they do not make things easier at all. I go for a walk in the evening, after dinner. A very pleasant experience to end the day (when it's not pouring down), but with everything shut it's somewhat eerie. Except for the places that aren't locked down, like the convenience store, or the chip shop!?! It is the most incongruous sight to see people queuing up (outside as they do ensure customers socially distance, tbf). Any other time and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Now, and the site of people buying takeaway food during a pandemic is oddly unsettling. Just seems unhygienic.

There are builders and tradesmen out a plenty during the day. You wouldn't think we were in a lockdown with the amount of building work people are having done. I guess some things you just can't put off. On top of that, houses are being bought and sold which really spins me out. The estate agents (yes, that's plural) are open. The charity shop isn't. One of the cafes (yes that's plural) is sort of open, though in practice I don't see a difference and neither would covid, but the community cafe isn't. The other takeaway (again...plural) is open and to get your goods you sit and wait inside. Makes sense.

None of this does. I'm not opposed to it out of necessity, but in a microcosm it's a mess of apparent contradictions. Not helped by those that still aren't wearing masks. What can you do, start an argument? Get punched in the face? No thanks. There's a kid that works in the convenience store who wears a mask, except he never actually wears it properly, it just cradles his chin like it's an ill fitting pair of trousers edging closer to your shoes. I'm so tempted to say something, but what's the point? If you don't to wear it, don't wear it! This half way house just looks slovenly. I can't believe how it makes me feel but when I see people like that, or the van full of builders who were behind me in the queue at Tesco, all without masks, I start to get angry! This is not good!

I shall come away from all this a tired and petty old soul. I'm hidebound in many ways, but rules are important for the way I perceive the world. Structure and routine are important to neuro diverse people such as myself. When those are upset it is very difficult.

And so here we are. Another two weeks of this twilight zone. Then what? I imagine another two weeks after that. "I have no choice" he will say, from his luxury apartment, privilege sparing him the reality of life in lockdown's increasing misery. They have conceded the fight, instead now hoping a vaccine will come along and fix things. Meanwhile everyone will be allowed a brief 'covid holiday' so they can spread the virus, I mean visit family, over Christmas. A bit like the football match in no man's land during the war. Except not, because Covid doesn't understand the offside rule and doesn't care that you do. So that'll be lockdown the third in January until April at least, when the scienticians are saying we'll be offered the vaccine en masse. Before then the only people that will get it will the vulnerable, ostensibly to ease the burden on the NHS. The rest of us will still face restrictions and social distancing, and possibly endless, dreamy, dreary, lockdown. All courtesy of the most incompetent sleazy government I

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...