Friday 25 December 2020

Advent Calendar 20: We Got Here! (+23 seconds)

So here it is, merry Christmas.

I don't want to be talking about Covid today. But I do want to make an entry. Honestly it just feels like every other Christmas day: cold, getting dark early albeit slightly less early. I don't do much and I don't go anywhere. Now, this year, none of you can either! Hooray.

I'm sure there's another iteration of the Shrek franchise on TV. It's on every year. But I don't really watch broadcast TV because it's mostly rubbish punctuated by people trying to sell you rubbish. I'm sure the adverts are full of mention of the sales, starting Boxing Day! I can't imagine how that's going to work, but retail and capitalism are juggernauts not so easily stopped. Even with Tier 4 either present or looming I'm sure DFS and the rest of the sofa sellers, tour operators, and assorted tat purveyors (such as the fragrance floggers who, seasonally, hire the actor de jeur to speak french and wear stubble), will all be lining up starting tomorrow to spend your Christmas dollars. Amazon waiting in the wings of course :D 

What a year they've had!

Still, at least it's reasonably sunny and dry. It is however monstrously cold, but then why not? It's winter yo! 

The bells did ring out this morning. Our local church is 800 years old and the vicar is a nice bloke. I have no real time for dogmatic superstitions, but if believing that a sky master (who presumably created covid) exists makes you a decent person who am I to argue? I don't begrudge them their day out especially now. They even managed to get the bells rining and the clock working. No longer is it permanently 9:50, just twice each day.

So here we are. In the midst of a storm. On one side a pointless and lacking Brexit deal, Covid on the other. In a week 2020 dries up, but the effects linger. Hopefully, with a reneewed calendar, hope can follow. I'll be taking it one day at a time, the daylight waxing and the sun rising, ever so slowly, once again. Let us hope it is enough to emancipate ourselves of this prison we have found ourselves in, with the strength to rid ourselves of our jailers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...