Wednesday 23 December 2020

Advent Calendar 18: Dancing With Tiers In My Eyes (+10 Seconds)

Probably should have numbered every day during December rather than separate headers for the weekends. 

I'm tired of the news. I'm tired of saying the same thing every day so I think I need to talk about something else, especially as this is now nine months pretty much to the day that I've been doing this. The topic is more or less the same: capitalism's failure in the wake of covid. Our government's creeping and endless ineptitude in the wake of covid. It doesn't look like things are going to improve, but slowly, though I'm sure our leaders will be off soon, on their longed-for Christmas break. I've no doubt Johnsons will be off to sunnier climes as soon as.

Just that troubling issue of dealing with the EU first. The thing he could have postponed for a year in the face of a deadlier crisis. He might even have gotten a chance for a break, but no, all the chickens have come to roost, and cough over our Christmas dinners. Well done.

In Covid/Brexit Britain rice and pasta are considered essentials and thus to face supermarket limits. This along with bogroll of course. The wonders of the age. Humanity's epitaph: for the want of a some roll, her lies the great race. How droll. Makes the Voyager satellite look positively philistine. No wonder a virus has levelled our society.

It's two days till Christmas. The weather is horrific. Local kids are mooching around in the rain. It's a pretty forlorn site. They site on the football pitch in one of the offside team dugouts staring into the great grey open. I guess there's not much for them to do. I've no idea how they spend their time, but I guess they can't hang out in each other's houses. If school remains closed, and it's looking like that's a necessary step, then where will they go? I sensed over the summer they had grown rambunctious; restless. I suspect that could be even worse in the winter. It's not a good look.

But don't forget the days grow longer. Christmas day is brighter than today and New Year's Day will be even brighter. I hope that soon that will be figurative as well as confined to the sun's luminosity. But dare I hope Johnson and his cronies (because cronies are running the show) will roll out the vaccine as quickly and efficiently as possible. Murphy's law is knocking at the door.

Places will be joining London in Tier 4. The whole country before long. But Crying Matt won't tell us which until Boxing Day. Something to look forward to, like a good present. Only one that will take a few days to unwrap. Happy Christmas, you're in Tier 4. No refunds! They know which areas (I'm guessing) so where is the sense in waiting till after all the people can travel around and into those areas (except from existing Tier 4 places) and potentially make things worse? Stupid is as Matt Hancock does.

And we're going into Tier 3. Oh a brief glimpse of the zenith of hope that was Tier 2. Not that any of the pubs opened round here, which I thought was weird. I do feel sorry for the local bistro that chose, unwittingly, this year to start their business. That's a tough break alright. Still at least the non essential shops are still open so I can buy socks that fit this time, or CD's I don't like from HMV. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Back!

Years and years ago, before anyone had ever heard of disease and pandemics, I started this blog. I gave it a stupid name from an Alan Partri...